Residency for artists based in India @ Gasworks
Application Deadline: 1st March 2017
London for an artist based in India, from 03 July – 18 September 2017 (11 weeks). . In 2011 Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation became joint partners. The Foundation was established in 1976 by Indoo Shivdasani as a permanent platform for his philanthropic activities and focuses on providing scholarships, grants and awards in any field for outstanding young Indians to develop their professional, scientific, artistic and cultural abilities. Gasworks’ residencies are opportunities for self-led professional development, artistic exchange and experimentation.
This year’s residency offers the opportunity to engage with Henry Wellcome’s collections of original material covering the ancient but ever evolving traditional systems of Indian medicine & healing. Highlights from this collection will be presented in Wellcome Collection’s forthcoming exhibition ‘Ayurvedic Man’ (working title, 16 November 2017 - 8 April 2018). The residency may result in a mid-scale commission for this exhibition responding to the exhibition’s ideas and material from the collections and / or engaging with critical and aesthetic approaches to wider discussions around wellbeing and the position of traditional practices within it.
Please note that Wellcome Collection is not obliged to show the works devised as part of the residency in the exhibition and the final decision on what will be included lies with Wellcome Collection.
The Residency Comprises:
- 24-hour access to a fully accessible studio at Gasworks, alongside other visiting artists and Gasworks’ permanent studio holders.
- An Open Studio, or similar public presentations, at Gasworks
- Single room accommodation within Gasworks Residencies House (a 3-story house, shared with 3 other artists-in-residence)
- Basic living expenses in London
- Economy return flights from the artist’s home city to London
- General membership at Wellcome Library and a number of guided sessions to research the material and meet curatorial and/or library teams.
- Travel card (zones 1+2) for unlimited travel within central London for the duration of the residency
- Administrative, pastoral and curatorial support from Gasworks (during office hours)